The time for prayer is ending, the time for action is now

Reading my Bible more isn't going to change anything. It isn't going to save anyone. Not even me.


No. With how things are right now I have to actually do shit.





Prayers will only get us so far. We have to work now. 


I have to do my job, do it well, and dig deep. I cannot let my family fall on the wayside either. And I have to do all I can to keep swimming so none I don't drown with the weight of it all in this storm.


And it won't do much. But it's more than inaction. 


There's a war on now. Our current administration is slashing and mismanaging staffing and care at the VA and HHS. All of those circumstances are resulting in adverse outcomes. People are getting hurt. People died. And it often feels helpless to do anything. 


Praying helps. It focuses. Same with reading scripture. But I know for certain God wants me to actually do at times like this. Even when I can't change the direction alone. Or with a lot. We still have an obligation to our fellow man. That's really what we have to do.


Some people will think I'm leaning too hard on my ownself. Maybe I am. But I really don't think so. 


See this isn't about holding out hope for a salvation. It's about seeing who Christ was, and trying my best to live as close to that now.


It's a subtle difference in outlook. But it changed everything.


I have agency. That means accountability and capability. 


When things are falling apart I do something. Even if it's hard.


There is political and religious strife throughout our nation, communities, and even families. And it's not without cause. But that doesn't mean we put our head in the sand. Go out of our way to stop trying. 

No I would argue we do. Debates aren't going to do much. And our prayers demand us to take action. So we should. 

If we can take action that benefits people. All the better.

Systemic change takes time. But it requires input. It requires we do our part. 

Through it all we have to take care of people. Show up. Meet needs. And do. That may mean increasing the caseload at work, changing how I call and check on people. Waking up a little early to finish that load of laundry before the kids get up for school. Showing up to volunteer when you can. All of it. The current moment demands that of us. Our words can help but our actions matter so much more.


And we need to look for kind actions and words wherever they come from. A certain parable about a Samaritan comes to mind. Those that should've helped didn't, the outsider did. Be the Samaritan. Look for the fellow Samaritans.


Those kind actions, those that help people who are actually struggling and hurting will come from diverse places. And we might not recognize them if we don't look for them.


All people have the capacity for goodness. Yourself included. Let's find it. 


Do something for the least of these. Find a neighbor needing assistance. 


If we all do something that isn't much it will become a lot more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Feeble Attempt at Building Bridges and Hoping to be Understood

What are you looking for in a piece of art?

Doctrine and Theology aren't new. You haven't reinvented the wheel.